Home   >   We@ZUST   >   Rules & Regulations   >   Content

Rules and Regulations Concerning Student Status for International Bachelor-degree Program Students

Feb 1, 2023    Hits:

According to the Rules and of Enrolling and Training International Students in Schools (Order No.42 of the Ministry of Education) and Notice of the Trial of Electronic Registration of Students Status and Academic Certificate of International Students in Institutions of Higher Learning issued by Administration Office of Ministry of Education (Document No. 5 of Administration Office of Ministry of Education 2007 ) as well as to Rules and Regulations Concerning Student Status for Full-time Undergraduates (Document No.44 of ZUST Education in 2017) Zhejiang University of Science and Technology formulates Rules and Regulations Concerning Student Status for International Undergraduates as follows:

Chapter One Application and Registration

Article 1 Application Qualifications

I. Applicants of foreign nationalities should have good moral character, should obey the laws and regulations of the Peoples Republic of China, rules and regulations of the university, and should respect Chinese social customs and habits.

II. Applicants should have had formal education at high school level or above, have good school performances and should be under the age of 45.

III. Those who apply to major in Art Design, Foreign Language, Architecture, Urban Planning will be required to receive an interview or take part in a professional entrance examination. Some majors may require applicants to offer their masterpieces and recommendation letters.

IV. Those who apply for Chinese-taught majors should reach corresponding New HSK level. Those who intend to majors in, engineering, management and engineeringarts and design, science should pass New HSK level 4 with180 points or higher. Those who intend to majors in literature and education should pass New HSK level 4 with 195 points or higher except for those who apply for Chinese(Business Chinese). Those who apply for Chinese-taught major but whose teaching language is Chinese in their high school can be exempt from HSK requirements.

V. Those who apply for English-taught majors should offer English proficiency certificate if their mother tongue or official language is not English.

VI. For those who apply for majors taught both in English and Chinese, their English proficiency refers to Clause 5 of Article 1, and Chinese proficiency refers to Clause 4 of Article 1.

VII. For those who fail to meet the corresponding requirements, we add the following provisions:

(I) If applicants fail to provide the required language proficiency certificate, they should provide proof of how many hours they have learned Chinese. After it is examined and approved by the university, they can be admitted on a trial basis;

(II) The trial students pay the same tuition fee and have the same class arrangements as normal students;

(III) In principle, the trial period lasts for one year;

(IV) During the trial period, if a trial student passes the required HSK test and passes every subject or obtains more than half of the credits of the chosen course, they can register for the bachelor degree program. In the meantime, the school will recognize the credits they get during the trial period;

 (V) Applicants who fail to pass required HSK test or obtain less than half of the credits of the chosen course can only graduate as a general training program student. The school will not return any fees;

Article 2   Materials Applicants Should Submit

I. Application for Admission to Zhejiang University of Science and Technology.

II. Notarized copies of high school diplomas and transcripts, and the original ones will be checked before registration.

III. Graduating high school students should provide a certificate issued by the host school to prove their expected graduation. And after admission, the students should hand in the high school diploma.

IV. HSK Chinese Proficiency certificate

V.  Those studying in China should provide their Completion Certificate or proof of Schooling in original education institutions.

VI. Photocopy of passport.

VII. Receipt of registration fee.

Article 3 International students who apply to transfer from one major to another or one subordinate school to another should submit not only the above mentioned materials but also a certificate to prove that he or she has studied in a university and the transcripts from the university. They will be transferred after the subordinate school which receives the international student confirms the credits and get approval from the Academic Affairs Division.

Article 4 International students from the state level exchange program or exchange program between universities should follow the procedures in accordance with the relevant agreement.

Article 5 Students for admission in the autumn semester should International Student Affairs Centerfinish the online application before June 30 or at a certain time. The admission decision for degree program of international students will be jointly made by International Student Affairs Center and relevant subordinate schools and then examined by Zhejiang Provincial Department of Education and sent to International Office for record. International Student Affairs Center will send Admission Notice and other documents for visa to students before the end of July and keep them in record at the same time.

Article 6 The admitted students should register at International Student Affairs Center within the stipulated time with passports, admission notice and JW202 form and pay relevant fees.

Students who cannot register during stipulated time should ask International Student Affairs Center for leave (no more than 2 weeks). Those who do not ask for leave and or do not register when the time limit is overdue, will be considered as abandonment except for irresistible factors from admission. After registration, International Student Affairs Center should re-examine studentsadmission qualification, ideology and morality, and health situation in 1months. Meanwhile, International Student Affairs Center should check the completeness of studentsfiles and registration formalities. If students provide fake information on their application materials, admission will be cancelled after confirmation.

Article 7 Every new international student should take a Health Examination at the designated hospital at the scheduled time. If students have had a physical examination overseas, they should have the examination certified by an appropriate authority in Hangzhou. If their health condition does not conform to the health standard of China, their admission qualification will be cancelled. Physical examination or examination certification should be arranged by International Student Affairs Center.

Article 8 Those who have passed the qualification review and health check can obtain the school status. ID cards and school badges for international undergraduates will be given out by relevant subordinate schools.

Article 9 International Student Affairs Center and relevant subordinate schools will give international students Freshmen Orientation Education. International Student Affairs Center will give education concerning security, laws and school regulations, Student Book interpretation and how to use library. Relevant subordinate schools will give introduction to training and education plan, student status management, Teaching Affairs System and other aspects concerning teaching.

Article 10 Every international student should go to International Student Affairs Center for payment and go to relevant subordinate school for registration in two weeks after the beginning of each semester. Those who fail to register on time should postpone their registration. Those who do not register in 2 weeks after the stipulated register time without right reasons will be seen as voluntary withdrawal. Those who cannot pay as the school rule required or are not qualified for registration cannot be registered as a student of this school.

  Chapter Two Course Assessment and Teaching Administration

Article 11 International students in the degree program should, in principle, attend all of the classes listed in the ZUST undergraduate training plan and sit the relevant examinations to get the corresponding credits. In view of international studentscharacteristics, the following adjustments are made.

I. International student can be exempted from Physical Education, Military Theory (Training), College Chinese(Introduction to Analects of Confucius), Political Theoriesinclude Theory on Marxism, Marxist Political Economics Introduction of Mao Zedong Thought, An Introduction to Deng Xiaoping Theory and Contemporary World Economy and Politics, Morals and Ethics, Basis of Law, Current political situation etc); For those international students in the degree program majoring in Arts  can be exempted from studying mathematics, physics and chemistry with the permission of the subordinate school.

II.  General Introductions to China and Chinese Language are compulsory courses for International students.

III. For those international students from English-speaking countries, College English can be exempted from studyingFor those international students from non-English speaking countries, College English serve as optional course.

IV. All the international students should register for assigned courses and participate all the examinations and tests in the stipulated time; the result of the examinations will be marked according to the 100 points evaluation method (passing grade is 55 points); The result of the tests will be marked by the five ratings evaluation method, two ratings evaluation method or 100 points evaluation method, and the transformational relation are as follows:

100 points














Five classes













Two classes






V.Students cannot take the final exam under following circumstances:

 (I) Students who skip 1/3 class hour of the course;

(II) Students who skip 1/3 experiment or practice hour or fail in evaluation of experiment or practice;

(III) Students who dont turn in their homework or experiment report and reach 1/3 of the total number of their assignments;

(IV) Students who miss more than 3 random rolls;

(V) Students who copy homework or falsify data in experiment report, works or course papers  

(VI) Students who dont take exams at scheduled time without reasonable reasons.  

Course teachers should give a list of student who cannot take final exams with reasons and inform relevant students. The list should be given to the subordinate school that the students belong to, International Student Affairs Center and Teaching Affairs Department for record by the subordinate school that the course belongs to. The grade to the course will be zero and no make-up examination will be given. The students have to retake the course if it is compulsory.

VI. Students will be assessed with 0 points for discipline violations, cheating or absence without any reason and marked Violation of Examination Discipline, Cheating or Absence. They are not allowed to take the make-up examination for the corresponding courses

 VII. Students who cannot attend an examination because of acute illness or other special reasons should strictly follow all necessary procedures of delay as required. They can postpone the examination with approval.

Those who are in acute illness should apply with disease statement signed by doctors in school clinic. After approval from Deputy Dean of subordinate School who is responsible for teaching affairs (or who is responsible for foreign affairs), it should be kept on record at Teaching Affairs Department.

Those who are absent for temporary special reasons should provide supporting materials. After approval from Deputy Dean of subordinate School who is responsible for teaching affairs, it should be kept on record at Teaching Affairs Department.

The assessment of the postponed examination course is usually arranged in the make-up examination. Those who fail should retake the course directly.

VIII. Those who fail in examination or tests have one time to take a make-up examination or tests unless it formulates that students can not retake the examination. For those practical courses, students should take part in the practices or debates again, or retake examination. Make-up time, in general, will be arranged in the first two weeks of the next semester, and GPA for those who pass the make-up exam will be 1.0.

IX. If the subordinate school deems it appropriate that the international student can be exempted from studying a course or use other credits instead, it should be reported to Teaching Affairs Department. Approved by Teaching Affairs Department, the international student can be exempted from studying the course or use other credits instead. And it also should be kept record at International Student Affairs Center.

10.In principle, international undergraduate students can not apply to study a course by self-teaching. But when a course is needed to be retaken and another course is arranged at the same time, the students can submit application to the course-instructor for not attending class. With the permission of the course-instructor and confirmation of the subordinate school, the students can finish the course by self-teaching. During the period self-teaching, the students should finish their school assignments, do experiments and participate in the examinations.

XI. International undergraduate students who use foreign Language as teaching language when receiving Bachelor degree education should write the abstract of the graduation thesis in Chinese.

XII. Minor or double-degree programs developed by the subordinate school can accept international students and charge a fare accordingly.

Article 12  Attendance should be checked in the classes, experiments, intership, social investigation and other teaching parts for undergraduate students. Those who cannot attend the required courses or other teaching activities on time because of illness or other reasons should handle the written leave procedure and get the approval. Those who cannot ask for leave in advance for acute illness or emergency should make up the procedure within 3 days. The regulations for different kinds of leave are follows:

I. International students who are ill should provide a medical certificate from the school clinic or an acceptable hospital to ask for leave. Absences less than two days should be approved by the adviser and should be kept record at the relevant subordinate school; Absences exceeding two days and less than a week should be approved by the adviser and Dean who is responsible for teaching affairs from the relevant subordinate school and should be kept record International Student Affairs Center at the relevant subordinate school. Absences exceeding a week should be approved by the dean of the relevant subordinate school and should be kept record at Teaching Affairs Department and International Student Affairs Center.

II. International undergraduate students are not allowed to ask for private affairs leave in principle. They should follow the leave procedure in advance for exceptional case. The regulation is same as the above.

III. International undergraduate students should ask from people who are responsible for teaching affairs in the relevant department for official affairs leave.

Students who are absent from class for more than 4 weeks in one semester should apply to suspension of schooling. Those who absent from class without asking for leaving or permission or do not go back to school after the permitted time will be seen as truant and will be punished according to Regulations on Rule-breakers of ZUST.

IV. International undergraduate students who violate discipline or cheat in the examination will be assessed with 0 points and punished according to the seriousness of the circumstances. The appeal for special case will be forwarded and deliberated in Meeting of School President. Specific can refer to Regulations on the Determination and Disposal of Disciplinary Violation in Examination.

V. The relevant subordinate schools are responsible for the teaching affairs as well as the administration work. Relevant subordinate schools should attach importance to the guidance of the international students, such as course selection, make-up examination, course retaking, delayed tests, how to use academic affairs management system, etc. And subordinate schools should appoint one person to give assistance to international students to draw up their study plans. Subordinate schools should also pay attention to the daily life of the students and arrange the top Chinese students to help international students overcome difficulties and get adapted to the new learning environment as soon as possible.

VI. Bachelor degree studentsattendance should be concerned and taken by course instructors. Class adviser is in charge of attendance summary once each month, and the attendance summary should be kept record in relevant subordinate schools and International Student Affairs Center. For those low attendance students, course instructors in relevant subordinate schools, class advisers and International Student Affairs Center is responsible for criticism and dissuasion.

VII. Students status registration and degree registration in the state education administration department are the responsibility of International Student Affairs Center. Relevant subordinate schools and Teaching Affairs Department are in charge of the arrangement of teaching activities.

Chapter Three Change of Major, Suspension, Resumption of Studies and dropping out

Article 17 International undergraduates have one opportunity to change their majors in principle. Those who want to change their major should apply for changing at the end of each semester according to Regulations On Undergraduates Major Changing. After getting the permission from relevant subordinate schools, International Student Affairs Center and Teaching Affairs Department can the students change their majors.

Article 18 Undergraduates can apply for schooling suspension under following circumstances:

(I) Leave for more than 4 weeks;

(II) Suggestions for schooling suspension from hospitals;

(III) Pregnancy;

(IV) Entrepreneurs;

(V) Those who cannot register for other reasons.

Article 19 Students can apply for schooling suspension or 1 semester or 1 year commonly and for 3 years at most. The application for suspension will first be signed by relevant subordinate schools and International Student Affairs Center. After being admitted, students should complete all the leaving procedures and visa procedures within 1 week. During the suspension period, they cannot participate in school activities and enjoy the rights given to students learning at school, school is not responsible for any accidents or infringements and their scholarship will be suspended according to the rule of scholarship implementation. International Student Affairs Center.

Article 20 Students should apply for resumption 4 weeks before the semester begins(hospital proof from secondary-level or above hospitals should be provided for sick suspension. Students should be checked by the school clinic and those who fail in check should continue suspension or drop out of school ). After getting permission from subordinate school, International Student Affairs Center and Teaching Affairs Department, resumption procedure can be started.

Article 21 International students will be excluded from the university if they have one of the following situations:

I. Voluntary withdrawal from school;

II. Those who do not register in 2 weeks after the supposed time period without reasonable reasons;

III. Those who fail to finish all the courses in the period time permitted by the school;

IV. Those who fail to resume their study after schooling suspension period or fail to pass the examination of schooling resume;

V. Those who cannot go on the study at school for illness or disability with the prove of hospital;

VI. Those who are absent for schooling for more than 2 weeks or more in succession;

VII. Skip classes for more than 50 periods in one semester.

VIII. For those whose credits obtained are less than 1/2 credits they should obtain, relevant subordinate school will give them paper warning for the first time, which will be kept record in International Student Affairs Center. If such phenomenon appears for the second time, relevant subordinate school and International Student Affairs Center will give them drop-out paper warning together. If such phenomenon appears for the third time, the students should be ordered to quit school.

IX. Those who cause serious social influence on school due to violation of discipline and law, receive paper warning from International Student Affairs Center 3 or more than 3 times.

X. Have anti-Chinese words and deeds seriously during the period of school.

XI. Violate Chinese laws and get custody by Chinese authority.

XII. Those who apply for tuition fee deferment but are unable to clear the arrearage beyond the deadline.

Article 22 Students who drop out can't resume their studies in principle.

Article 23 Dropout decision should be proposed jointly by relevant subordinate school and International Student Affairs Center and get approval from the deans who are responsible for teaching and foreign affairs after being verified by Teaching Affairs Department. International Student Affairs Center will send the decision document to the student. If the student cannot be reached, it will be sent in the way required by Chinese Law. The student should leave school in 15 days and School will refund tuition fees in accordance with the standards of refunding.

International Student Affairs Center will report to International Students Scholarship Administration Committee about the drop-out of international student who come to China with government scholarship and inform relevant embassies at the same time.

Article 24 Those who dont agree with drop-out decisions can appeal to the Student Appeal Committee.

Chapter Four Schooling, Completion of Study, Graduation and Degrees

Article 25 The school implements the basic education system and flexible education for international undergraduate students. The schooling of an international undergraduate student lasts 4 years (Architecture and Urban and Rural Planning 5 years). The studying years lasts for 3-8. (Architecture and Urban and Rural Planning 4-9 years) Those who cannot graduate in time for any reason can apply for an extension.  School will provide at most 5 years studying visa starting from the date registered at ZUST for international undergraduate students( Architecture and Urban and Rural Planning 6 years). If students are unable to complete study during the longest period of time for visa, they should leave China and return to school for examinations during the schedule time. School will help them with short-term entry visa.

Article 26  School will conduct a prequalification to students who have entered the graduation year. Those who obtained 18 compulsory course credits less than requirement(not including 18), or those whose total credits 40(not including 40) less than the lowest criterion set by academic program(except uninitiated compulsory courses) cant enter the graduation year and degrade.

Article 27 Those who have completed all stipulated courses in advance according to syllabus can graduate beforehand. The students should apply to relevant subordinate school. Once the application is approved of by subordinate school, relevant documents should be submitted to International Student Affairs Center and Teaching Affairs Department for approval. In addition, such application should be submitted to relevant subordinate schools 2 semesters in advance. For those students who graduate in advance, their tuition fees should be paid according to Regulations on ZUST International Students Tuition Fees.

Article 28  International undergraduate students who complete all the courses on the training plan, get a qualified result with the required years and gain the required credits of their own majors are allowed to graduate and conferred diplomas. If they dont meet the requirements of graduation but complete all the courses on the training plan,  they will be issued certificates for courses completed.

Article 29 Those who are not conferred diplomas but issued certificates for courses completed can come back to ZUST in flexible study years to take part in course examinations which they didnt pass in the past. Once they pass those course examinations, they can be reissued diploma. Graduation time renews from the change of certificate.

Article 30 If the students with graduation qualification meet the requirements of The Conferment of Bachelors Degree, after forwarded by the relevant subordinate school, verified by the Teaching Affairs Department and approved by ZUST Academic Degree Evaluation Committee, will be conferred bachelors degree and issued the diploma. Those who violate academic integrity, school will restrict their degree. Those who get the degree certificate by cheating, plagiarizing, copying or other devious way, school has the right to cancel their certificate according to law after confirmation.

Article 31 Students who cant get bachelors degree for failing to pass New HSK can attend HSK examination in China and other designated places abroad during the allowed time. Those who pass relevant New HSK level can apply to the relevant subordinate school for the re-issuance of bachelors degree. With the approval of the university, the bachelors degree will be reissued.

Article 32 Students graduation qualification and degree qualification should be verified by relevant subordinate schools, which will be reported to Teaching Affairs Office for the final review.

Article 33 Students who drop out or are expelled from school can get a proof of study certificate.

Article 34 If a students degree certificate or graduation certificate is lost or damaged, after personal application, the school can issue a corresponding certificate after verification. The certificate and the original one shall be of equal authenticity.

Chapter Five Supplementary Provisions

Article 35 The right to interpret this regulation remains with the Teaching Affairs Department and International Student Affairs Center. If matters not mentioned herein, implement in accordance with Administrative Provisions on Full-time Student Status of ZUST( Document No. 44 of ZUST Education in 2017).

Article 36 This regulation takes effect after it is passed at the regular presidents conference from Sept. 2018. Other undergraduate students at all levels refer to the implementation. In case of inconsistency with the regulation, this one shall prevail.